Monday, January 11, 2010

Kills (and Serge Gainsbourg)

So I was at the gym today and put on Kills radio. There was a lot of Black Keys, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, a little Metric, and some random stuff that I did not get a chance to check because I was too busy pumping iron. Not the best exercise mix, actually. I expected more ferocity but there was too much psychedelia and jam, which there is a time and a place for but not here. There was a strange, uncharacteristic song by the Kills called "I Call it Art" from Gainsbourg Revisited, that made me want to look into it later. (Turns out Serge Gainsbourg, father of Charlotte, was a French singer/songwriter who died in 1991 and this Revisited album is a tribute which also features Portishead, Cat Power and Placebo.) I expected to hear more White Stripes and some Dead Weather, but didn't, which is fine because I can hear them on several other stations. All in all, I would recommend the Kills station if you're driving a car or at home alone. It's very good for losing yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment